Configure the SQL Developer on Mac OS X for AWS Cloud access

Von Tobias Arnhold 9.03.2018
I have struggled a while now to correctly configure my Mac so that I can access an Oracle database in the AWS cloud.

Got a couple of strange connection errors:
I/O-Fehler: General SSLEngine problem
Handshake error

I even created a question in the forum:
https://community.oracle.com/message/14924079#14924079
At the end my friend Rüdiger helped me finding the right solution.

What was my configuration:
 - Max OS X 'El Captain'
 - JDK version: Build 1.8.0_181-b13
 - SQL Developer version:  Version 18.2.0.183
 - AWS cloud connectivity via SSL
 - Oracle database

Step by step:

1. Create the certificate "rds-ca-2015-root.der":
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/Appendix.Oracle.Options.SSL.html

2. Get your current JDK version:
java -version 
java version "1.8.0_181"

3. Copy the file CER in your JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security
Full HOME directory: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_181.jdk/Contents/Home

4. Open a terminal window and go into that directory:
cd /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_181.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security

5. Execute keytool
sudo keytool -import -alias rds-root -keystore cacerts -file rds-ca-2015-root.der

6. Start your SQL Developer and create a new connection


Connection type: Advanced
JDBC-URL:
jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcps)(HOST=dbxe.xyz.server-center1.rds.amazonaws.com)(PORT=7575))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=DBXE)))

Post Tags: