APEX-AT-WORK no image

UPPER first character

Von Tobias Arnhold 10.21.2013
Seems to be a simple task but there are hundreds of solutions.
For me as an APEX developer I have to decide between an JS/jQuery or a SQL/PLSQL solution.

Easiest would be using the initcap function from Oracle but I was only allowed to upper case the first character of the field.

Example:
tobias likes tasty food.

Wrong:
Tobias Likes Tasty Food.

Correct:
Tobias likes tasty food.

After searching for a couple of minutes i found two easy ways to fix this issue:
jQuery solution on stackoverflow
PL/SQL solution on forums.oracle.com

I decided to use this Oracle solution:
upper( substr(:P1_FIRSTNAME,1,1) ) || substr(:P1_FIRSTNAME,2)

Instead of this jQuery solution: 
var txt = $('#P1_FIRSTNAME').val();
txt = txt.substring(0, 1).toUpperCase() + txt.substring(1);
$(
'#P1_FIRSTNAME').val(txt);

Why:
One line of code and for most APEX developers SQL functions are still easier to understand. Luckily I didn't had to face performance issues in this example. I mean bad performance is even more lousy then complicated code.


Post Tags: